Philip Hardwick is one of those architects who, like James Pennethorne, pops up all over Victorian London. Trained in the Schools of the Royal Academy, he visited Paris in 1815, drawing its ironwork, then spent time in Italy where he drew the temple at Paestum. In the 1820s, he was responsible for the design of the warehouses in St. Katharine’s dock. In the 1830s, he built in the style of the Renaissance Revival, as at Goldsmith’s Hall. In 1836, he designed the great propylaeum for the London and Birmingham railway terminus at Euston. In 1842, he designed a new gothic Hall and Library for Lincoln’s Inn. He grew rich from his multiple surveyorships, was a founder member of the RIBA in 1835, and was elected an RA in 1841, serving as Treasurer in the 1850s. He’s buried in Kensal Green.