We were walking along the Mile End Road this afternoon when we noticed some carvings inset into the building next to the Old People’s Palace. They looked reminiscent of work by Eric Gill. This is not surprising because they are indeed by Eric Gill, commissioned in 1936 after he had done similar work for the BBC. The building itself, combining theatre, cinema and music hall, was opened in 1937, designed by Campbell Jones & Smithers to provide popular entertainment to the east end.
The left hand Recreation is playing the pipes:-
The east one is reading Unto This Last, Ruskin’s great tract:-
Above are a variety of recreations, including Boxing:-