We went to Bra, the home of the Slow Food movement. But we failed to get into Boccodivino, the restaurant which everyone recommends, so had to console ourselves with baroque churches.
First, S. Andrea, a church thought to have been designed by Bernini and executed by Guarino Guarini in 1672, but these attribitions are disputed by Richard Pommer who thinks they are the result of ‘too much campanilismo‘:-
Then up the street to S. Chiara, by Bernardo Vittone, much more theatrical, started in March 1742 and completed six years later:-
We particularly liked the extraordinarily elaborate, nearly art nouveau ironwork:-
There was much else to see in Bra. The Corso Cottolengo and Santissimo Trinità beyond:-
The art nouveau sculpture in the main square:-
The Palazzo Communale:-